Friday, June 10, 2011

Thing #1

Lifelong learning is one item that both my high school teachers and undergraduate professors stressed as essential for professionals.  It is a trait that I try to embody and one I find greatly rewarding.  I have learned that no matter what you major in during your undergraduate years, you never know where life will take you or what direction your career will take.  The easiest part of this process is reading about subjects that interest me.  I feel that I accept responsibility for my learning and work to continue to expand my horizons.  I majored in history, have served as a military officer in various capacities for the past 11 years, and I now teach history at the secondary level.  I routinely read about history, government, and various other social studies disciplines.  I enjoy this, I have worked in such fields, and it is easy for me to accomplish.  

What I do not do well is use technology to my advantage.  This is mostly because of not being comfortable with something new.  The hardest part is getting into topics that I do not have a strong background or work experience.  I do not have a Facebook, and I never thought about blogging or establishing a twitter account prior to this course.  I would rate my technical abilities as moderate, but I do not step out of the box to try new technology.  I routinely feel like I am the last one to get an ipod or to set up wireless in my house.  Basically, I do not get involved into things that I do not know or understand.

What I have learned so far is that this new technology is very user friendly and it is not something that I should fear.  I did not experience any problems setting up this blog.  If I needed help with something, one question to a more experience friend or a help search would get the task accomplished.  I am very excited about this class.  It has provided me the tools not only to use technology in my classroom better, but to do so efficiently so that its development is not a burden on my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment