Thursday, June 23, 2011

Thing #15

I have been a fan of wikis for many years, but I never knew what they meant.  I just thought it was a pretty cool encyclopedia to get some basic info.  In fact, I wrote one of my previous posts on that topic.  Wikis are a great way to put out information for the class.  Wikis promote a collaborative environment where all students can comment.  You need to have some controls in place to keep comments appropriate, but that is not different than what you do in the classroom as a teacher.  This is an especially good tool for distance classes.  It can be used as an alternate method for class projects and presentations.  As with all things Web 2.0, wikis enable us to share what we know and gain insight from others. 

I found this exercise easy to accomplish.  I am not at the level of creating my own site, but I am comfortable with joining a wiki and manipulating that site.  In my class, I would use wikis to provide common information for my classes that are not found in text.  This provides the students with a common place to gather material for the class.   

No comments:

Post a Comment