Sunday, June 26, 2011

Thing #16

I went with the google applications.  I found them simple to use and liked how they interface with one another.  With my igoogle webpage, I could link to my gmail account and to my google calendar.  I looked at the other pages and calendars, but this feature aided me in my decision to choose the google applications.  To me, it is very similar to the backpack application in that it puts most of my web 2.0 material along with additional personal items on one setting for me.  Another advantage to using the google applications is that through this account I also have instant access to my reader. I will continue to use this as my personal page and have already saved it as such.

The online calendar is very useful to me.  I now have my calendar wherever I go.  It is easy to search and easy to add to from the igoogle home page.  I did not find the to do lists very useful.  For one, it would mean navigating to another site from what I saw.  I searched google for an application on its own, but did not find one.  I did notice that Remember the Milk could be linked through my google accounts.  If I end up choosing to use a to do lists, I will go with Remember the Milk.  I do not find a need to use this because the calendar provides my to do list for me.

As for the backpack feature, I do not see that being useful to me at school or at home.  It has some great sharing features, but Engrade provides that for me already.  Through engrade, students have access to their attendance, grades, and assignments.  I can send messages to single students or to classes as a whole.  Engrade provides the functionality I need for communicating with my students.  If I need more information sharing, I would like at setting up a wiki to allow for peer to peer collaboration.

No comments:

Post a Comment