Its one of the older tools, but I still love Wikipedia. It has many great applications that place a ton of information in your fingerprints quickly. If I have a quick question that I need answered quickly, I can use this tool to get a basic understanding.
Wikipedia is very user friendly. I never get extraneous pop ups and it usually puts you close to the information you are looking for at the time. You don't have to worry about having to sign in or download another application. The information is their and shared quickly. I like some of the search refinement options that enable you to search via general subjects if you do not know something specific about the topic you are researching. You can go through the content list, pick a subject, time period, or event to find information.
The only thing I do not like about this site is that it can contain inaccurate information. You have to be careful and be sure to verify the information. I would not recommend using items on this site in referenced works. Its function is in basic information not detailed academic work.
In addition to quick searches, I like to use this site expand my research. I will use Wikipedia to search what I know and use the results to find additional topics that interest me. I use this site in my own classroom at times to introduce topics that are not in the text or require additional information. As discussed, its applications are extensive. In the school or library setting, it serves the same role that the old encyclopedia section served when I was in grade school.
Wikipedia is very user friendly. I never get extraneous pop ups and it usually puts you close to the information you are looking for at the time. You don't have to worry about having to sign in or download another application. The information is their and shared quickly. I like some of the search refinement options that enable you to search via general subjects if you do not know something specific about the topic you are researching. You can go through the content list, pick a subject, time period, or event to find information.
The only thing I do not like about this site is that it can contain inaccurate information. You have to be careful and be sure to verify the information. I would not recommend using items on this site in referenced works. Its function is in basic information not detailed academic work.
In addition to quick searches, I like to use this site expand my research. I will use Wikipedia to search what I know and use the results to find additional topics that interest me. I use this site in my own classroom at times to introduce topics that are not in the text or require additional information. As discussed, its applications are extensive. In the school or library setting, it serves the same role that the old encyclopedia section served when I was in grade school.
No comments:
Post a Comment