For me the biggest reason to comment on blogs is that it contributes to the process. This process inherently develops a sense of community. The author creates his or her thoughts, others read them, and dialogue is created through this action. A blog can serve as a journal, a diary, a personal conversation, and a classroom discussion all in one. On one of the suggested sites, the author commented that if people did not want others to read and comment on their blog then they should write a diary keeping it locked away. I find that thought very true. Blogs are about sharing your thoughts and ideas. For us to grow through this information sharing, we need discussion on the topics addressed on the blog. Blogs give everyone a voice. You no longer have to depend on an editor's generosity to get your ideas publish. You get to publish yourself. You can draw attention to yourself and to your ideas instantly.
I found a couple of additional thoughts about the blogging process that I had not thought before blogging myself. For one, do not be too quick to judge whether the author is responding to his or her comments. The author has so many options to respond that he just may not respond on the blog. Another is that it is important to be humble and gracious when responding to comments on your own blog. Blogging is about sharing ideas. You want people to listen to your comments, so be respectful to someones comment at the same time.
I commented on the following blogs: Jay Man Live's 23 Things, 21st Century Education, Workman Discovering Web 2.0, K. Leigh Edwards, and Rocks by Wheels. I also looked at the Education Week blogs and the History News Networks blog. On the 2 outside the class blogs, I found great topical content that was easily accessible. They had their information grouped in such a way that I could quickly find a topic and comment on items of interest. I particularly enjoyed the parts on common curriculum and on how 9-11 has changed the way we teach history. On Jay Man's blog, I commented on the google applications. As I have stated in my own blogs, Google is a great resource. It is user friendly and has plenty of useful application. The truly follow the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stup&*) On the 21st Century Ed site, I commented on You Tube use. I think You Tube is a great asset. The problem is that it is blocked at many schools. We need the school systems to understand its educational applications. I agreed with Workman's blog about accepting responsibility. The issue is we need to get the other 2 people in each desk to do the same. In other words, we need the student and the parent to help with that as well. I really like the news feeds and thats what I commented on K. Leigh Edwards' blog about. Its great to have the information coming straight to you. Finally, I commented on the Rocks by Wheels blog. It is so awesome to have all these resources available to supplement your teaching. You have mentors, tips, and great ideas that you can get anytime you need some help.
I found a couple of additional thoughts about the blogging process that I had not thought before blogging myself. For one, do not be too quick to judge whether the author is responding to his or her comments. The author has so many options to respond that he just may not respond on the blog. Another is that it is important to be humble and gracious when responding to comments on your own blog. Blogging is about sharing ideas. You want people to listen to your comments, so be respectful to someones comment at the same time.
I commented on the following blogs: Jay Man Live's 23 Things, 21st Century Education, Workman Discovering Web 2.0, K. Leigh Edwards, and Rocks by Wheels. I also looked at the Education Week blogs and the History News Networks blog. On the 2 outside the class blogs, I found great topical content that was easily accessible. They had their information grouped in such a way that I could quickly find a topic and comment on items of interest. I particularly enjoyed the parts on common curriculum and on how 9-11 has changed the way we teach history. On Jay Man's blog, I commented on the google applications. As I have stated in my own blogs, Google is a great resource. It is user friendly and has plenty of useful application. The truly follow the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stup&*) On the 21st Century Ed site, I commented on You Tube use. I think You Tube is a great asset. The problem is that it is blocked at many schools. We need the school systems to understand its educational applications. I agreed with Workman's blog about accepting responsibility. The issue is we need to get the other 2 people in each desk to do the same. In other words, we need the student and the parent to help with that as well. I really like the news feeds and thats what I commented on K. Leigh Edwards' blog about. Its great to have the information coming straight to you. Finally, I commented on the Rocks by Wheels blog. It is so awesome to have all these resources available to supplement your teaching. You have mentors, tips, and great ideas that you can get anytime you need some help.
No comments:
Post a Comment