Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Thing #5

School 2.0 is simply the impact of Web 2.0 on our education system.  School 2.0 focuses on the ever changing way in which the computer and internet is used.  Primarily, it is about using the interactive and collaborative technologies to share data, communicate, network, comment on data, and network with students and teacher. 

School 2.0's most essential aspect is that it demonstrates the many different ways that learning can occur.  Learning does not have to occur in a classroom, a school building, or with an instructor present.  School 2.0 fosters lifelong learning traits. 

School 2.0 is critical to the future of our schools.  It provides functionality to classrooms never experienced.  It also provides flexibility not present prior to its development.  We live in a mobile society and School 2.0 supports this mobility.  It provides students and teachers access to information instantaneously.  As a secondary teacher, I have virtually unlimited access to sources that supplement the text.  School 2.0 aids scholarly research in the same fashion.  School 2.0 does add additional demands on the student or researcher to verify sources. 

As with many topics already discussed, there truly are unlimited ways that this technology can change education.  I have heard of school districts experimenting with e-readers and IPADs in lieu of textbooks as another example.  As we continue to experiment with web 2.0 we will continue to see the education system change. 

1 comment:

  1. I do agree with you very much that the day of the textbooks are about to be history! I believe that Web 2.0 will take off even more when devices such as (iPads, tablets) are in all classrooms, which they will eventually will be. I would be happy with just having a resource computer for research in my classroom right now. HAHA

    ReplyDelete